Google+

Kevin Gamache on Google +1

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Don't forget Yahoo!

I am not sure if Microsoft has pushed Yahoo! from their consciousness but as a search engine marketer I definitely should not. Yahoo! still holds the second place in the amount of searches out there in the webiverse. I am not saying that you should sacrifice your Google rankings to appear in Yahoo! SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages). It is definitely a balancing act but if you have valuable content for your consumers you should be able to rank high in the results for both Google and Yahoo!.

There is some duplication of searches between these two giants of search, but Yahoo! has their loyal fan base just like Google does. Tapping into that fan base can extend your reach and thus your brand awareness.

So I advocate tracking not only your Google rankings but your Yahoo! rankings as well. You should know how people are finding you. If your analytics shows that you have no search traffic from Yahoo! then something is wrong and you are missing a good stream of potential customers to your website. Take a look it could very well be worth your while.

If you are not sure how to track where people are coming into your website and to see how your website ranks on the various search engines. Leave me a comment below or send me a message on Twitter and I will be glad to talk with you.

No comments: